Sweet Carrot Corncake
Yields 12 4 oz. corncakes. This recipe is Gluten-free.
- Eggs, whole 5 each
- Milk 2 cups
- Corn 2 Cups
- Cornmeal 1 ¾ cups
- Gluten Free Cornbread Mix 1 ¼ cup
- Sugar 2 tbsp.
- Baking Powder, double acting 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp.
- Salt 2 tsp.
- Butter, melted 1 tbsp.
- Scallions, thinly diced 1/3 cup
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Place the eggs, milk, half of the corn, cornmeal, GF cornbread mix, sugar, baking powder, salt, and melted butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand blender on low speed, blend the above ingredients until thick and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrap down the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- With the same rubber spatula, fold in the scallions and the remaining half of the corn into the batter.
- Place completed batter in an air-tight plastic container. Batter is good for 5 days, covered, in the refrigerator.
- To cook corncakes, place non-stick skillet or cast-iron skillet on stove top and heat on medium-high heat.
- Spray pan with non- stick spray.
- Using a ½ cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and place in pan.
- Corncakes cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. You will know when they are ready to flip when the edges around the corncake are no longer shiny and looks cooked.
- Using a flat spatula, slide spatula under corncake and flip corncake over and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- The corncake will puff up in the center and then deflate a little.